Saturday, November 28, 2009

Thankful

Every year I spend Thanksgiving thinking of all the things I’m thankful for. Of course I do, it’s the main purpose of the holiday.

This year I was up early – before all my boys – and I was thinking of how lucky I am, how much I have to be thankful for and it made me all teary. When I really thought about why, I realized that while I think these things often I rarely say them. And what good is it if other people don’t know how you feel.

It’s so easy to say thank you - for gifts they give or their time or their kind words & actions. But what’s more important and rarely gets said is how truly thankful I am for each and every person in my life. Thankful that just by virtue of being themselves and being present, they enrich my life. By bringing their personality and unique point of views and their love. I am who I am because of the people who surround me.

So, while I may have argued about how many combinations of desserts there were this year (I’m sure I was wrong) at the same time I was also incredibly thankful to have a house full of loved ones to share the day with. Thankful to look around and see smiling, loving faces sharing stories and laughter. Thankful that my boys will always be surrounded by love – and not just by the people who joined us this year for Thanksgiving but by all of their family, near and far, who are so incredibly special to me.

I am truly thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment