Thursday, September 29, 2011

Bad, Bad Leroy Brown

Does it ever happen to you that you're driving along listening to the oldies station (What? The oldies are awesome!) and are transported back to a time and place so vivid it practically brings tears to your eyes?

This afternoon Bad, Bad Leroy Brown came on and in an instant I was just little playing that song on the jukebox at The Pastime. My little sister and I would get to hang out there with my grandpa and his cronies. They'd give us Cokes and money for the jukebox. Harry, the bartender, would call us little boys. I probably have the story all wrong - I'm sure there were other people there, maybe my mom or my other siblings - I don't really remember all the details. But I was little - was I even 5? But I do 100% remember always playing Bad, Bad Leroy Brown and Most Beautiful Girl on the jukebox. Man, that was a long time ago. I loved those songs.

Listening to the lyrics now ... not so much kid appropriate although significantly tamer than what kids there days listen to. Some kids - not my kids. Not yet anyway.



No comments:

Post a Comment