Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Skol, Vikings!

On Sunday we took the boys to Severs Corn Maze in Shapokee. It was really cool - a great alternative to the apple orchard/pumpkin patch/farm animal petting zoo we usually do in the fall. We've never done a corn maze and I wasn't sure if the boys would like it or be bored and quite honestly I wasn't sure how good our orienteering skills were ;-) Turns out we all did great - we made it through the maze, we found all 26 Vikings fact sign and the 6 challenge signs. It took a decent amount of time to get through it but it really was a lot of fun.

They also had a little hay bale maze set up. Since we got there right when they opened it wasn't very busy and we were able to walk/run through this it but later in the day the kids (& adults) were all just running & jumping on top of the bales instead of walking through them. This was fun for everyone but Eli who didn't want to/wasn't able to jump from bale to bale. He didn't really care though.

Like all the standard family fun activity places - they had plenty of places set up for photos ops. These were especially fun because Henry is a huge Vikings fan and Eli pretty much loves any opportunity to ham it up.



The boys have mad love for big slides. This one was no exception. It was tall, steep, bumpy and super fast. I'm not sure if you can tell by the look on my face but I was more than a little nervous about Eli being on there but he insisted and since we are trying to let him do all the "normal stuff" he got to go. Like my hair?

I'm normally not a huge fan of the petting zoos but at least this one had some cool animals that I'm not sure I've ever seen in person before. Kangaroos, ostriches, camels, lemurs, water buffalo, llamas, Chinese pheasants, weird little small deer, some blind white thing that looked like a cross between a rat and a kangaroo, other stuff too. I think the coolest part was some of the kangaroos had joeys in their pouches. You can kinda see the opening in this picture. Those little babies were crazy though - moving around in there, making their mamas all uncomfortable, sometimes a body part would accidentally come out of the pouch. It made me glad that I'm a "normal" mammal and not a marsupial one!

They had all kinds of other stuff too - a magician, a juggler, crappy (but delicious) food, face painting, a band, and... pig racing! Seriously. They had a little track set up and the pigs all had cutesy names - Britney Squeals, Dale Oinkheart, Lindsey Loham. The big prize for the winner of each race was a mini donut. I'd race for that too ;-)

It was a perfect day.

ps. Happy Birthday to Ben Todd!! I hope you have the best day ever! We are so excited to see you (and your whole family) this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment